Why is Bottega one of my favorite restaurants in all of San Diego? Let’s start with the exquisite sexy design by Thomas Shoos complete with stacked rustic wood columns and cavernous ceilings. I love how the concept is branded from the custom tile to the hand stamped bags with Bottega’s signature black and white Italianate graphic. Then there’s star Executive Chef Dave Warner who brings a modern California twist to classic Italian cuisine. Dishes are created using ingredients from the divine house made pasta, salumeria and raw bar. We put ourselves in the chef’s competent hands and thoroughly enjoyed our five course meal with carefully curated wine pairings:
1) Super fresh Scallop Crudo paired with crisp Conte Della Vippera, Italian Sauvignon Blanc
2) Perfectly moist Pan Roasted Local Swordfish over a Fregola Stew with Eggplant Caponata paired with buttery Dutton Goldfield 2012 Chardonnay
3) Savory Rabbit Agnolotti with butternut squash paired with medium-bodied Martinelli “Bella Vigne” 2012 Pinot Noir, Russian River
4) Succulent Bricked Cornish Game Hen paired with rich Veneroso “Tenuta” 2008 Super Tuscan, Tuscany
5) Pumpkin Zeppole with Chocolate Ganache and Pumpkin Butter Rum Dip served with complementary Barolo Cinato
Bottega Americano is a spectacular East Village restaurant worth venturing to for an exceptional overall dining experience.