You’ve likely heard of the wintertime blues, but how much of your winter look has been shades of navy, sky or teal? Many people find the cold season to be quite the contrary, marked by neutral, stark shades like white, grey and black. Perhaps that’s why we all look so forward to spring and its bright, cheery palette. As soon as the sun makes its way back into your life, you might be inspired to spruce up your decor just as Mother Nature is doing outside. If so, we’ve put together the following list of five ideas to make your place scream “spring!” right along with you.
1) Update Your Art This is an easy fix, whether you live in a place that you own or rent. Your springtime color inspiration might call for a complete overhaul of the art hanging on your walls, and – with certain focal walls in place year-round – this can be an easy fix. For example, you can invest in a handful of matted album frames and hang them over your sofa, bed, etc. As the seasons change, swap out the decorative paper that you have framed in the middle. This is such an inexpensive project, and one that you’ll look forward to switching up as the months pass by. As spring rolls in, you can choose bright, festive paper that ties in with your theme and takes it up a notch on the cheerfulness scale.
2) Fluff Your Pillows OK, a simple fluff of your throw pillows won’t make them magically festive. You can, however, swap out your pillows for spring-inspired ones that tie into the season. Let’s imagine you have a simple, neutral-toned couch as your backdrop. A pop of color from floral-printed, brightly colored throw pillows would instantly make your space more spring-y. The same goes for a patterned or bright throw, which you could easily drape over a couch or easy chair.
3) Say Yes to Patterns Spring might be the best season to use seasonally inspired patterns in your design. Unlike other seasonal patterns that read a bit cheesy, spring is full of gorgeous florals, fresh tree motifs and cool animal and insect prints that you might like enough to keep out year-round. You could wallpaper an accent wall or entire room, or you could be extra creative and cover the face of an old dresser with a crisp branch pattern. Of course, these same patterns translate well onto tapestries and fabrics that you can incorporate for spring, too.
4) Go Green If you’re not sure that bright pinks, reds, yellows or oranges are your style, don’t worry. There’s one color that represents spring more than any other: green. From grass to new flowers to the leaves that poke out from branches, springtime has green everywhere. Fortunately for you, it can be a chic addition to an otherwise neutral space. You don’t need a lot to make any space seem airy, youthful and colorful.
5) Strategically Paint You probably don’t want to repaint your house in order to have it coordinate with every season. You can, however, make it a point to add a splash of color to brighten things up without being too much for you to handle year-round. Simply choose a few kitchen cabinets, the back of a bookshelf or a single wall in a room that’s feeling particularly blah.Then, slick on a layer of spring-inspired paint that brings happy vibes and a bit of decorative oomph. Just make sure to lay a drop cloth before starting so your bright spring colors don’t end up on the floor! You can be done in an afternoon! The best part about spring is the emergence of new life – you should think of your home redesign in this way, too. It should be just as simple, beautiful and cheerful as what’s happening.